Thursday, February 8, 2018

Useful Technology in the Classroom

            Throughout high school classrooms, technology is being integrated more and more. In my education classes, we are learning about the do’s and don’ts of technology. The main point that I have taken away from this Technology for Math Educators course is that you need to make the technology you use in your classroom actually useful.
            Although technology can be a “fun” thing for your students to use in your classroom, if it is not challenging them, they will eventually just get bored. As a teacher, you need to incorporate technology that will be useful in your classroom. During our class time in this course, we have been assigned to teach about different mathematical apps that could potentially be used for our classrooms. Before taking this class, I might have said that it would be an okay idea to use most of them in my classroom. However, when I took a step back and actually thought about what the apps could do to help my students learn a subject I had a different thought on them. Most apps that I have reviewed wouldn’t actually benefit my students at all.

            Most of the mathematical apps that I have looked at for this class are apps that would just be “time consumers” in a class. What I mean by time consumers is that they are apps that won’t teach your students anything new, or even allow them to discover anything new. However, I have found some great apps that I intend on using once I become a teacher. Some of these apps include: Desmos Graphing Calculator, Geogebra Classic, and stats!. If you have never looked into these apps, I would encourage you to research ways that would allow your students to discover new things that you might not be able to cover in your lecture time as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment