Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Don't Be Afraid To Fail / Be a Learner

As a future teacher, I constantly have the same thoughts reappear in my head. "Should I use this technology or that technology?" "Which app is best for this task?" "What activity would be best for this lesson?"  Seriously, how do you really know?  I have finally come to the realization that at some point you simply have to let loose and go with what you feel.  Yes, it is important as a teacher to do your research to make sure you don't pick a "dud" app or do an activity that doesn't apply to the lesson.  I am simply saying that I am not going to exhaust my time finding out every little detail.

I am already dreading the first year I actually start teaching.  I know that my 8 hour school day will turn into a 12+ hour work day.  That's just the simple fact of being a first year teacher (or any teacher).  Thus, my time needs to be spent on preparing the lesson and not debating on how to teach it.  With that said, I can expect to fail.  A lesson I work really hard on and thought was brilliant will turn out to be disliked by a majority of the students.  This will be discouraging and feel like time wasted, but it is something I must accept and move on from.  There is always the next lesson, chapter, and year to try something different. All the risks and failures will be worth it when one of our lessons really "hits home" with our students.  Then we have a base to build off of.  Even veteran teachers should expect to fail at times, as they should continually be trying new "things" as well.

It is also important to remember that while we have the classification as "the teacher", we are still learners.  I'll be the first to admit that I am hesitant to try new things at times because I'm not sure of how to use them, which is silly.  Students are starting to use technology at the kindergarten level, so it is idiotic to think that by middle school they don't have knowledge to give us about using some of the technologies in the classroom.  Be open to letting them teach you how to use them and do some learning!

This blog is simply a reminder that our students are unique, and the ways we are able to teach them are becoming extremely unique.  Don't be afraid to try something new, and just because something didn't work for another teacher doesn't mean it won't work for you and your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment