Friday, January 12, 2018

It all began five years ago…

Five years ago today I started this course blog for Math 371: Technology for Math (STEM) Educators.  I am happy that I did it and am looking forward to another great semester of this class.  I am also glad that my students in that class wanted me to continue using the same blog each year so that we could look back on the changes in technology over the years.

Each spring when I teach this course, I do it differently, partly based on what the students want to learn and partly due to changes in technology.  So I find it fitting to use this quote from Robert John Meehan on course management system page, "Life as a teacher begins the day you realize that you are always a learner."

On the first day of class, I told the students that I am not always going to be the technology expert on certain technologies and that we are all learners in the course.  Each semester I learn new things and hopefully they learn new things.  Ultimately my goal is to make our math pre-service teachers good consumers of technology. In particular, I want them to be well-versed in Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) and understand that technology should not be used for technology’s sake, but technology needs to enhance student learning.

One significant change that I have made over the past five years in this course is that I now ask students to tell me what they want to learn about. There are some things that we will do regardless of their suggestions, but I like giving them choice in what we do.  Some things that they suggested for this semester are: math typesetting, online grading systems, online homework, 3D printing, Excel, and interactive whiteboards. Other topics will include copyright laws, blogging, and teaching with the TI-Nspire.  We will also work with iPads and how to utilize them in math classes.

I am looking forward to another semester of this course and I am certain that I will learn a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment