Friday, January 26, 2018

Math: A Love-Hate Relationship

Over the course of my life, I have had my fair share of struggles when it comes to mathematics. It could be so frustrating when I would spend hours upon hours on a single question, with little progress towards understanding the material. However, there would be days I found enjoyment in math, solving problems that required a higher level of understanding with ease. As this cycle of attitudes towards mathematics continues in my life, I find myself believing this is the groundwork for having a passion, and in this case, being passionate about math.

To offer this idea in a different context, I sometimes compare my relationship with mathematics to my favorite football team, the Minnesota Vikings. They can have a great season with high chances of winning in the playoffs, but can also leave me frustrated, when they lose in a way only the Vikings can. The same goes for math. One moment I am ‘winning’ and the next I am ‘losing’, but, in the end, it still draws me in and I continue to be a fan of mathematics no matter the outcome. By understanding this idea of a love-hate relationship, it is easy to see how this applies to several areas of a person’s life, especially to his or her areas of interest.

Although it is interesting to consider how math is a love-hate relationship, as a future math teacher, I cannot let the thought end there. The posing question to be asked is what is the student’s relationship with math? I cannot count how many times I have heard the words ‘dislike’ and ‘math’ uttered in the same sentence. It appears to be the frustration that is most notably expressed when using mathematics, and understandably so, for it is a challenging subject. Frustration is a normal outcome when going through challenges, but, by persevering through these difficulties, one can succeed by learning from his or her endeavors.

The goal is not to make the student ignore their frustration, but rather to help him or her develop that balanced relation with math through recognizing its potential. One possible way to achieve this may include a lesson directed at a student’s interests to help with broadening their understanding of certain applications and uses. I believe it important to share one’s own difficulties with math as well as the success and enjoyment. When only the success from experience is expressed, it can be displayed as to not having failure in math, when we all know that is not true. By letting students know everyone has those ups and downs, it allows for the students to realize we all have frustrations with math, creating a mutual understanding and connection with the students. Having this common ground may help students to reconsider their feelings towards math and move from frustration to being interested.


I know I will always have this “love-hate” mentality towards math, and, therefore, I know my students will experience one or both feelings towards math as well. Knowing where the students stand and how I can relate to those situations will not only benefit my students’ appreciation for mathematics, but also develop my path as a teacher.  

No comments:

Post a Comment