Wednesday, February 6, 2019

360 on my views of technology

When most college students think of technology in the classroom, they probably think of professors struggling to get the projector to work or turning the sound on for a video in class. I believe students most likely do not think they need to learn how to use technology for classes. But for me, this was not the case. Technology is newer to me as a student. I grow up homeschooled all the way until I graduated high school. I have had to learn a lot of basic things that most students learn in high school. For example, making a presentation on powerpoint or typing efficiently. While I was homeschooled, I hand wrote all my papers and assignments. I also did not use a computer for much besides occasionally watching a video to learn. Now as a college student, I am glued to my laptop for most of my homework.

But even with having to learn many new things at once, I have grown to enjoy all the recourses online. It is amazing how much knowledge and help there is out there online. As a "math person", I enjoy many websites that help with my weaker areas. For instance, a grammar checker for when I am writing papers. Growing up the only thing I was taught about technology was the negatives of it. I heard parents complain about the distraction and how their children stare at their phones for long amounts of time. Although these aspects of technology are true and should be taken into account, it is interesting to learn some of the good things about technology.

I think the best part about technology is that it has the ability to strengthen our weak areas in learning. Many students dislike a subject but with the technology, they would have more tools than before to be able to overcome this weakness. With something like emailing, students are able to ask a question if they are stuck on something and are not at school. Or shyer students would be able to ask questions in class if the teacher is running a class chat online. There are countless more ways that technology would be beneficial in the classroom.

Since I have come to college and seen these benefits of technology my views have been changed. As a student and as a potential teacher, I see technology as a great help in my life. Being a teacher is hard work and something that could make your life easier or more efficient is worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment