Thursday, February 18, 2021

A Teacher's Search for a Technological Elixir

           With the plethora of technology that is available to educators, it is quite daunting to be held responsible for implementing the best products into one’s classroom. It seems like everyday more and more software flashes across the screen with a new twist claiming this development will be the one tool that will launch your students into success never dreamt before. Then, there is the situation of being reluctant to envelop any new technology since the techniques and teaching styles being used now are already proving to be effective. What is the right move? What is the right course of action to take in this age where technology is calling the shots?

Before that question is answered, let me share a thought that I have frequently. For a while, I have been keeping mental notes of what the supposed “best” way to distribute and share mathematical course material is. Here are some of the main contenders: SmartBoard, generic whiteboard, document camera, slideshows, and videos. Out of all of these, I am proud to say that my favorite is (drumroll please. . . ) using a simple whiteboard! I have concluded that the whiteboard is my favorite medium through which I am taught because of the following. When a teacher writes on a whiteboard, the information is tangible; I could go up to the board and touch the markings on the board, look at my hand, and see the residue of the EXPO markers on my fingertips. The fact that there is no obstruction between by mind and the whiteboard is fantastic. Now, let us analyze the document camera and a slideshow. When mathematical material appears here, it still is right in front of me; I can see it and learn from it clearly. However, if I went up to the screen and reached out my hand, I would not see its remains left upon my skin.

Now I must clarify that I do very much enjoy learning from the document camera and slideshows; I can testify I am still learning the material. There is just a tangible factor about the whiteboard that none of its counterparts possess. Now how can I say this? The whiteboard is old news, an anachronism. Surely newer technology has already perfected the idea of a whiteboard and overcome its shortfalls? The answer to this question is yes and no; it is here where the truth resides. We will all have different preferences on technology! No one product is going to be everyone’s favorite or do the best job. As a student I prefer the whiteboard, but as a teacher my stance could change. As a teacher it will be important to remember that just because I am the head of the classroom does not mean I must use my favorite applications all the time, every single day. Not only will students become tried from the monotony, but also they want their favorite applications to be used! We need to learn how to think of technology as a toolkit of equally helpful methods and styles, and not a contest of which technology is best and which is worst.

           As young teachers enter the classroom, creating new notes on slideshows, composing Kahoots, and mastering the art of generating videos can be inundating. Experienced teachers know that finding a balance and personal groove can take years to figure out, so don’t stress. When we ask ourselves the question what the best course of action in a technologically dominated realm is, the answer is there is no perfect app or perfect software. There is no right way; rather, use many different tactics, and keep students guessing every time they walk into your classroom. A teacher’s search for a technological elixir ends right when he or she looks into the mirror. Just like Batman’s utility belt, we have the capacity to use what is at our disposal, no matter how antediluvian or modernized.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the thoughts, Cole. As someone who is always on the lookout for technological tools that enhance student learning, I have settled on asking myself "how can [insert new tool] help student learning?"

    The team at Desmos just released an updated guide to building math activities that they use to drive their thinking. I think the guide is very strong:
    https://blog.desmos.com/articles/desmos-guide-to-building-great-digital-math-2021/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mr. Kreie and I plan to have them read that Desmos blog post.

    ReplyDelete