Friday, March 5, 2021

Study Tools with Growing Technology

            As a third-year math education major at South Dakota State, math exams have been on my plate since I started my post high school education. As this week ends, I just finished two exams over the course of the week, so as you could imagine I did my fair share of studying this week. I have never been great at studying nor have I ever enjoyed it. I thought to myself, “how can I make this experience easier for my students?” As time passes and technology gets more innovative, the cluster and sheer number of options for our students to utilize while studying can become overwhelming. Being a student in a time of such rapid growth in technology has shown me firsthand how exhausting it can be to siphon through it all.
            Studying is one of the aspects that the teacher doesn’t have nearly as much control over. It is the responsibility of the student to put in the appropriate amount of time and effort into studying, so that they can get the outcome they want to achieve. While this is true, I believe that technology has provided teachers an easier way to help students with their studying. Because most schools have an online program that they use to assign homework and such, it is the perfect location to provide students with ample material to use to study. This can be more than just practice exams and study guides. While those are great tools provided to students, there is so much more technology has to offer. One great tool I’ve used these past three years is YouTube. YouTube as hundreds of channels that can provide short lessons on a topic. A couple channels I’ve found incredibly useful are patrickJMT and 3Blue1Brown. Now while I do say that YouTube is a great tool, it is important to remember how troublesome or dangerous it can be. As a future teacher, I want to provide students with great channels that can serve as a helpful tool or second voice in the learning process. I believe it is the responsibility of the teacher to provide their students with channels they have watched and trust.
             One last tool I’ve found is an incredible tool that was just recently come into use of education is Zoom and other tools like it. Zoom may be the only good thing to come out of the COVID-19 period of time. Not only does Zoom provide a way for students to attend class while they are sick or need to be home for whatever reason, it also allows the student and teacher to connect better. I believe the teacher is the most useful study tool that a student can use when studying for an exam. Before Zoom, once a student went home, the only way get in contact with their teacher was for them to email them and hope for a response. Zoom is a great way for students to ask their teachers a question about their studying while also getting a verbal response when they aren’t at school.
            Overall, as technology continues to rapidly grow, so will the ways students can study. It is the responsibility of the teacher to select the best options that will allow their students to succeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment