Saturday, March 26, 2022

Formula Sheets for Exams

by Emily Siemonsma
        In high school, the importance of memorization is stressed in almost every class. Even in some college courses, memorization is the only way through the class. However, memorization has never been a strength of mine and I am sure many other students agree. Memorization takes up so much time and honestly I forget eighty percent of the material right after the test if I force myself to memorize terms or methods. Learning is about gaining a deeper understanding of the subjects you are introduced to. Thus, I believe that memorization needs to become a thing of the past, especially in the math classroom.
        Once we say goodbye to memorization, we can start discussing allowing formula sheets in the math classroom. I think that formula sheets make perfect sense in the math classroom. When someone is working as an engineer, teacher, or mathematician, they will probably look up most formulas. Memorizing formulas for an exam is a waste of time because students will likely be more concerned with remembering the formula than understanding the question. Also, students will probably forget the formulas after the exam anyways.
        Most formulas will not give away answers to students, but instead, help check that students understand the concepts. If a student does not know what to plug into a formula then they probably do not understand the concept, but if they know how to use a given formula and can explain their answer well then there is nothing wrong with giving them the formula.
        If a teacher is concerned with students not understanding where formulas come from, then they should quiz them on how to come up with a formula. But when it is time for the exam, save your students some time and give them a formula sheet. Students should not have to stress about remembering every single equation perfectly, they should get to spend their time deepening their understanding of the concepts taught.
        In my statistics class this semester we are given a formula sheet. It is very helpful especially because there are lots of formulas to remember for statistics. Before every exam, I review every formula and make sure I understand how it works and what it is for. I honestly could probably go without some of the formulas on the sheet, but it brings me a sense of security. I know that I can stress more about understanding all the concepts rather than making sure I know how to write out an equation.
        Overall, it is up to the teacher if and when students get formula sheets. I understand that there are some situations when formula sheets are not necessary. However, most times memorizing the formulas is not going to make the student a better mathematician and in these situations, I am an advocate for formula sheets.


No comments:

Post a Comment