Wednesday, January 16, 2019

An Eye-Opening Experience


Coming into this semester, I felt like I really didn’t understand the prevalence of the big issues we talk about in our education classes, particularly the math-specific classes.  We have talked about how tricks and mnemonics might actually hinder the learning of students because of the lack of understanding and the reliance on blind memorization.  The role of calculators in the classroom has been a hot topic of debate.  How much students learn and retain information about basic computations from year to year has also been discussed.  All of these ideas, and more, were running through my mind as I came face-to-face with the reality I didn’t think I knew anything about.

When she showed me her first problem, I knew I had a lot of explaining to do.  The student I was tutoring had gotten a poor grade on one of her first quizzes of the semester, and she told me she had no idea where she went wrong.  As a sophomore in college, she was struggling with understanding how exponents work.  She needed help figuring out how to rewrite the fourth root of x as x to some power.  It seemed as though she didn’t remember anything about radicals like that from high school.  After some explanation, she eventually showed me that she could convert other examples of roots to exponents, so we moved on.

Next, we looked at a problem she got wrong that involved expanding an expression, namely 2(x+3)^2.  Looking at her previous work, I noticed her first step was to distribute the 2, so she had written (2x+6)^2.  When I asked her why she did that, she said, “Well, in ‘Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally,’ parentheses come first.”  Our discussions of PEMDAS have mentioned how confusing it can be for students, such as in this situation.  I had never really been given the opportunity to explain to a student where the mnemonic can be tricky, so I finally had the chance at this tutoring session.  I don’t know if my explanation was adequate enough for her to make the right calculation in all situations, but she seemed to grasp the content for at least this specific type of problem. 

The last major problem I came across in my tutoring session was how to simplify 125^(1/3).  The answer she had written was 41.67, which is actually found when dividing 125 by 3.  I knew right away where her mistake was, but I wanted to know what she thought she did wrong.  “I typed it in my calculator, and it gave me the wrong answer.”  I had her show me how she input the information in her calculator, and sure enough, the answer she got was 41.67.  What was her problem?  No one had taught her how to use the technology!  She had no idea that she needed to use parentheses for fractional exponents, so I showed her how to input it with parentheses to get the correct answer.  Of course, the point of this problem was to have students rewrite 125 as 5^3 and solve by combining the exponents, but I wanted to make sure she knew how to use the little technology she is allowed to prevent further mistakes.

I never thought I would see so many of the issues we discuss in one tutoring session, but it happened.  All of the important information we want students to know may actually not be getting across to them.  I am hoping throughout this semester in MATH 371, and other math-education classes, that we as future math teachers are able to finally understand the prevalence of these problems and make great strides toward finding solutions.

Ashley Larson


No comments:

Post a Comment