Friday, February 14, 2020

The Importance of Proofs in Math Classes

Proof: 
First and foremost, I absolutely demise doing proofs. I look at them, I think, I go to a different problem, I come back, think, go to another problem, then finally muster up an answer to the proof, and to be blunt, the success rate has been dismal of late. But, although I wish I would do better when being tested on it, it is extremely important in a math class to learn proofs and learn how to do proofs for a variety of reasons.  
The main reason is glaringly obvious; it shows the student has an overall understanding of the subject at hand. This understanding is on a different level than just computing numbers. When a student is given the Pythagorean Theorem and is asked to find the hypotenuse of the right triangle, do they really understand where everything is coming from, or are they just simply taking the example the teacher gave and applying it to their situation. When I was a high school student, I did the latter. My teacher was great, everyone enjoyed having him, but going into college I found myself lacking behind the rest of the students because all we needed to do was a simple plug and chug. Looking back, if proofs would have been involved, I would have been far more prepared for the life as a math major. 
Along with gaining a full understanding of the content, proofs are crucial to Geometry. To do well in Geometry, the student can’t rely on equations to get them through, unless they are doing area formulas. Instead, they need to realize that, for example, two opposite angles made by two intersecting lines are vertical angles, and so forth, congruent. Not only do they need to realize it, but they need to understand why that makes them equal and how that can help them determine other things. Proofs help in this step. 
Since proofs are crucial, it would be terrible if they were taken out of the classroom. Yes, they may be difficult and bring test scores down, but with the help of a good teacher, proofs can only help the student achieve their future goals. Without proofs, students do not gain reasoning, which is a critical aspect for all occupations. So even for those students who say, “When will I ever use this?”, it is important, because they will use aspects of everything we teach every day. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment